Thursday, January 5, 2017

Winter running

I have always been a fair weather runner and when the weather gets to be about freezing I stay inside and run on the treadmill. Unless I joined in on some runs with friends. But this year, I have to get out as much as I can since I am well aware that running outside is way better for training for a marathon (and less boring!)

Today I met up with my buddy Amanda to run on the towpath. It was 19 degrees and felt like 10 degrees. I had a pair of running tights, warm and cozy darn tough socks (Thanks Heather!), a long sleeve tech shirt under a fleece jacket, mittens, ear/headband thing and a neck thing (yep I don't know technical terms!) Felt cold before we started but I knew that I would warm up quickly. A mile into the run everything felt good except for my toes, by the end of the run I was completely warm and actually sweating! We ran quicker then the training plan said but I know that I am going to try to make the best of what my runs. I love seeing negative splits :)


 And I know that my longer runs will NOT be this quick. I am guess those will be closer to 10:30 minute miles. Even though my long runs that I have been doing were in the mid to high 9's. But I haven't gone past 10 miles so I am sure the average pace will get slower.



Still thinking about what my goal is for Canton will be. I probably should have some sort of goal right?


1 comment:

  1. No need to rush setting a goal for Canton. Get some of those long runs under your belt first to see how your body does and then you can set a realistic goal.

    ReplyDelete