Thursday, January 19, 2017

Speedwork

Getting some advice has been helpful from other running buddies, Cathy. I was trying to figure out how I could incorporate in a little bit of speed in my runs. I am running 4 days a week, two easy days (Tues/Thurs), a medium run "paced" (Wed) and the long on Saturdays. She helped me figure since Wednesdays were all ready "paced" days that I should use that day to add a little bit of speed. So I guess starting next week I am going to start it. She also helped with calculating some speeds for me (things I probably could have done on my own but didn't think to use) based on my last 10K time of 53:40. According to that my predicted pace for a marathon would 9:37 (!!!!) which would be around a 4:15 marathon (yikes and overwhelming to think about, and I shouldn't...) My 5K pace is 8:18, 10K 8:38, and half marathon is 9:08 things that should help me with my speed workouts.

The speed workouts that Cathy thinks I should do include a lot of 800 (4:10 for quarter mile) repeats, hills, and tempo. My last two runs on Wednesdays have actually been my "tempo" paces (8:45-9 minute miles) so I know I can probably keep up with that. The repeats don't even bother me too much but it's the hills. It's not hard to find hills around other than I am wondering if I should do hill repeats or is this just running over at Sand Run (6 miles of hills aka "Hills of Hell")? But I am going to attempt maybe both. (I am rambling now)

I am just adding what each week looks like for me:

Week 5: 35 minute tempo run (6 miles)
Week 6: 5X800s (6 miles)
Week 7: 5 hills (7 miles)
Week 8: 40 minute tempo run (7 miles)
Week 9: 6X800s (7 miles)
Week 10: 6 hills (8 miles)
Week 11: 45 minute tempo run (8 miles)
Week 12: 7X800s (8 miles)
Week 13: 7 hills (5 miles)
Week 14: 40 minute tempo run (8 miles)
Week 15: 8X800s (5 miles)
Week 16: 6 hills (4 miles)
Week 17: 30 minute tempo run (3 miles)
Week 18:  Rest (2 miles)

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51141/Marathon-Advanced-1-Training-Program


No comments:

Post a Comment