Friday, January 6, 2017

Kettlebell/Kickboxing

When Charlie was about 9 months old Matt asked me if I would like to join him and take a class at the YMCA called kettlebell pump. I think I had seen the kettlebells at the gym but prior to starting the class I hadn't take any classes at the YMCA (I had done P90X in my neighbors basement), I pretty much ran on the treadmill all the time and had taken an introductory session to show me how to use the weight machines. I thought it would be fun to do something with my husband too, since he didn't like to run or even go to the gym period. I remember being really nervous when we first went to the class. Everyone seemed to know each other and knew the routine. Matt and I found a spot in the back against the wall and found out where the mats and kettlebells were located. That's when we met Jeremy the instructor and he was very helpful in helping us decide which weight we should try. At the start of the class we did a warm up (something foreign me and made me nervous all again when I couldn't follow along) and then we started swinging the kettlebells. It was challenging and Jeremy had to come over and correct our form a couple of times. And then after the kettlebell part, we did a quick core workout....WHAT I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THAT!!!! but by the end of the class we both were a sweaty mess. The next day? Yea I was super sore, I couldn't even put my hair in a pony tail! However, I had fallen in the love with the class. I've taken the class off and on for the last 4 years. I think my favorite part about the class is that I can really be challenged (sometimes we stand on BOSU balls or do TABATA workouts) and feel strong

About 1.5 years ago, Jeremy decided to add kickboxing. Matt wasn't excited about it and decided to stop going but having done P90X and KenpoX (probably my favorite workout) I have enjoyed the addition. Last night was the first time I had gone in about 6 months and "dragged" my running friend Maria went. She had never done a class at the Y either and she was so nervous. I tried to help as much as I could, it was fun to watch her grow in her confidence throughout the class. And I am excited to know that she didn't hate it and can't wait to come back in a few weeks. Also I learned that I missed the class a lot and am excited to start being a regular again!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to take a class with my husband. I'm going to see if they offer something like this at our YMCA.

    ReplyDelete