Saturday, February 11, 2017

14 miles!

This morning I ran the farthest I have run in 10 years! Thanks to Cathy and Megan today was a super confidence boost. Last few times I have run the long runs on this training plan just haven't gone that well. I can't even pin point the difference but maybe it was the weather. All week I had been thinking about this run and making myself a little crazy thinking about it. Cathy suggested breaking up the run in to two parts, running part of the Shamrock course and then ending with towpath miles. Actually I think it just hit me why this run was great, it wasn't an out and back. I think I have trouble with the whole let's run 7 miles one way and then run back the SAME way. I have a love/hate relationship with Shamrock course. It's definitely hilly but I think I have figured out my own way of running those hills. Knowing I had to run 9 hilly miles and then "only" 5 towpath (2.5 miles out and back) really helped. Amanda how does running the same course and running an extra towpath mile sound to you since you missed out on this week?


HAHA!!!

We finished up the hilly part and dropped off Megan and picked up Heather. I drank a little bit of water before heading out again. I still need to figure out the whole hydration thing. And we had a great time enjoying the flat miles. I did have to walk a little but Cathy would not let me walk long and I am glad she didn't. I think I just need to remember long runs are all about just getting the miles in and it doesn't matter what pace.


Group shot!


Pretty even splits if you ask me. The second mile was at the beginning of North Hampton Rd and I have learned there's no point in trying to run that first hill. I walk as fast as I can, get my breath, and just start running knowing that every incline there is a decline at the top!

On the way home from the run I tried to eat a protein bar but it made me gag. I don't know if it was just because I hadn't drank much water or what but I had a heck of a time eating the bar. Something else to figure out.

The rest of the training week went well too! On Wednesday I ran 7 treadmill miles with a tempo run in the middle. Average pace was around 8.45 for the middle miles and overall just under 9 for the whole 7 miles. Thursday was another treadmill day and ran 3 slowish miles. I had the incline at 2% and ran it in 29:34. I don't really know if I am actually taking it easy on my "slow" days since I have to up the incline to go slow. Oh well soon I hope to get more miles outside again, it's either raining or snowing!

All in all this was a GREAT week training.

No comments:

Post a Comment